Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Wanna Tostada?!

I swear I try to veer away from Mexican dishes, but the darn recipes just pull me right back in!!  What is it with Mexican food anyway and why the heck do I let these recipes dominate my weekly menu?!  Dang the flavors!  I just can’t help it!!!  Easy to cook…inexpensive ingredients…amazing flavors.  The perfect combo for the perfect meal…and this one is no exception :)

CHICKEN ENCHILADA TOSTADA

1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken thighs

1 pkg taco seasoning

1 tbsp. brown sugar, packed

1 can chopped green chiles {I used the 8oz. can}

1 can {10 oz.} red enchilada sauce

1 cup frozen corn

1 can refried beans {I used Gebhardt}

tostada shells OR fried corn tortillas

Toppings {optional}

lettuce, green onion, tomato, sour cream, cheese, avocado, olives, or whatever else you can think of!

 

Boil chicken and shred {rotisserie would’ve been MUCH easier!!!!}.  Return to skillet & coat with taco seasoning & brown sugar.

chickenenchiladatostadas1chickenenchiladatostadas2

Add green chiles & 1/2 cup of enchilada sauce.  Cook on medium until heated through and add corn.  Cook for another 5-10 minutes so the corn isn’t frozen when you take a bite :)

chickenenchiladatostadas3

Meanwhile, mix your beans with the remaining 1/2 of the enchilada sauce and heat {stovetop or microwave…I think you know which I prefer ;)}

You can buy the pre-made tostada shells, but sometimes I like to make things more difficult than necessary…so I fry my own {I swear they’re yummier!!!}  Just pour enough oil in a pan to cover the bottom and turn heat to medium/medium high.  Use a fork to poke a few holes in the tortilla so that it doesn’t bubble up.  Cook each side until brown{ish} & crispy and let the tortillas dry out on a towel. 

Ummm…ignore the ICKY skillet.  Does anyone else have a skillet that looks like this?!  Dang.  I’m blaming this one on Mr. Spouse ;) {Shhhh…don’t tell him I said that!!!}

chickenenchiladatostadas4

Now it’s time to tostada.  Spread a generous helping of the refried beans on the tostada.  Then layer a nice little hunk’a chicken mix on top of the beans.  And then, top it off with all the fixin’s.  I went with avocado, green onion, & cheese…but lettuce, tomato, & sour cream would’ve been yummy, too!!! 

chickenenchiladatostadas5

Another Mexican dish to add to my {ever growing} list of favorites :)  Muy bien, if you will.  Can’t wait to see this back in the dinner rotation!!!  Yep…it was THAT good!  Winner, winner tostada dinner!

5 comments:

  1. oh yum!!! those look amazing!

    oh and try Bar Keepers Friend to clean your pan...works wonders!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to make this! I am addicted to Mexican recipes too! And like you, I have no idea why!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum!! I love Mexican dishes as well. I tried that Philadelphia cooking cream tonight(Santa fe) and made the Santa fe pie- yum!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. yum, I'm totally making this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG Yum!!! I had a tostada at a mexican place the other day and I've been craving a recipe for a homemade version since! You read my mind! :)

    ReplyDelete