Tuesday, October 4, 2016

"SOUP"er Tuesday

I wish there were a magical weather button we could press when the season changes from Summer to Fall.  At the strike of midnight on September 22nd, not only would the season change, but so would the hot temperatures.  I'm a summer girl through and through, but cooler weather wouldn't be terrible right about now.  Nothing drastic, just a relief, y'know?!   We always joke that maybe if we start making "fall"ish recipes like soups and stews, maybe we'll will on the cooler weather.  Sorta like a rain dance, but the only thing dancing will be our taste buds :)     

Just to test out the waters, I decided it was time for our annual first-soup-of-the-season because why not?!  We love a good soup...especially during the cooler months...so I decided to try out a new-to-me recipe that turned out to be an instant hit!!  The best thing about soup is the (typically) easy prep, minimal clean up, and delectable flavors...and soup makes the best leftovers, too!!  

STUFFED PEPPER SOUP

1 lb. ground beef
1 onion, diced
1 large green bell pepper, diced
2 (14.5 oz) diced tomatoes
1 (10 oz.) can tomato soup
1 (14 oz.) can of chicken OR beef broth  (I used chicken)
2 C. cooked rice
1 tsp. garlic powder
1 TBSP. sugar
salt & pepper, to taste
red pepper flakes (optional), to taste
shredded cheddar (optional) for topping

Alright...let's get started, shall we?!

First let's go ahead and chop our onion and bell pepper.  I used a green bell pepper because in a dish like this, I feel like the green gives me a more savory flavor.  I'm sure red/orange/yellow would be great too, with just a slight variation in the flavor profile.


Add the ground beef & diced peppers & onion to a large skillet and cook on medium heat until the meat is browned.


Drain the excess grease from the meat and return the meat/peppers/onion to a large stockpot.  Add in the diced tomatoes, tomato soup, and broth.  I used chicken broth, but the recipe says you can use either chicken or beef.


Cook rice in a separate saucepan and add to the meat mixture.
Then toss in the sugar, garlic powder, and salt/pepper.  I had to do a few little taste tests to be sure I added the right amount of both.  I also tossed in some red pepper flakes because we do like a little bit of heat in our meals.  


Cook on medium heat for about 30 minutes to give the flavors time to meld.  





When you're ready to serve, top with some shredded cheese and maybe a few Saltines!  



Y'all...this was DELICIOUS!!!  Anytime Mr. Spouse goes back for seconds, I know I found a winner.  I'm excited to add a new recipe to our expanding rotation of soups!!!  I think you'll love it if you try it, too!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment